We offer a variety of very affordable and competitive insurance plans and options for your protection.
You must be familiar with all rental clauses in the rental agreement. All insurance and additional coverage will become null and void if the vehicle is driven by an unauthorized driver, if an accident occurs while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or if the accident is caused by negligence or intentionally provoked.
- Call SOLID CAR RENTAL, and follow our representative’s directions. Main Office Number (506)-2442-6000.
- Call 911 to report the incident to the authorities: Traffic officers and representatives of the insurance company indicated by our staff or the OIJ for theft. (911 Emergency Line provides a bilingual service – English / Spanish). When appropriate, complete all accident and official reports, and retain your copies to deliver to us at Solid Car Rental.
- Under no circumstances should you move the vehicle before the traffic police officer authorizes you to do so.
Is car rental insurance mandatory in Costa Rica?
Mandatory insurance, Costa Rica
Liability Protection Insurance (SLI): SLI car rental insurance, Costa Rica, is mandatory for all rentals and rental car agencies. It provides limited liability coverage and financial responsibility for incidents involving third parties.
What happens when there are damages to a third party? SLI liability insurance covers up to 80%. It has a 20 percent deductible.
Note that the SLI does not cover any damages to the rental car itself. Personal injury protection is not included in the SLI either.
What happens in the event of the injury or death of a third party not traveling in the rental car? SLI will cover up to US $100,000 per accident with no deductible.
SLI is required in our company, it cannot be waived.
Can I rent a car without insurance?
No. You cannot rent a car without insurance in Costa Rica. Even if you purchase private international insurance coverage for you and your family in your home country. Costa Rican law does not recognize such plans for vehicle rentals.
Can I use my personal auto insurance?
Your personal car insurance back home is not valid in Costa Rica.
What are the rules I must follow to ensure my SOLID rental car coverage?
Clients who do not follow the SOLID CAR RENTAL rules and regulations regarding car rental coverage will lose their coverage benefits. Be aware that the SLI, CDW (from SOLID or another provider), or the additional will not apply under the following circumstances:
- Failure to report an incident (collision or damages) to SOLID RENTAL Car Company immediately after the event occurs.
- If the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the event.
- If the driver is not authorized or inscribed as an additional driver in the SOLID rental agreement and damages occur.
CDW – Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver Insurance protects the vehicle from collision damage. CDW Coverage is obligatory, but may be declined in case you have a credit card auto rental collision insurance program. CDW does not cover partial robbery, lost or damaged car accesories or personal belongings. Deductibles apply as indicated below, such that you are responsible for damages up to the maximum deductible amount.
For our smaller cars, a deductible of US $900.00 applies for collision damage. In case of theft or total loss, the deductible will be US $5,000.00. For our medium and standard cars, a deductible of US $1,500.00 applies for collision damage. In case of theft or total loss, the deductible will be US $5,000.00 For our large or luxury cars, a deductible of US $1,600.00 applies for collision damage. In case of theft or total loss, the deductible will be US $5,000.00.
Our CDW coverage provides basic rental car insurance during the duration of your rental, including:
- CDW coverage waives the client’s financial responsibility. This is in the event of a collision, roll-over, or other damages to the rental car.
Note that vandalism and tire damages are not covered under the CDW. According to SOLID terms and conditions.
- The CDW deductible or excess amount is $1,000/ $1600 depending on the vehicle.
Note that third-party damages are not covered under the CDW.
- What happens in the event of a collision, rollover, or damage to the vehicle? A SOLID representative will help you with filing a claim. Incident processing will include the vehicle appraisal, damage and downtime reports, repair reports, and others.
- Accidents or damage caused while driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Driving the vehicle through inaccessible paths, rivers, shorelines, swamps or similar places.
- Accidents or damages caused to the vehicle by negligent driving, or provoked incidents not contemplated in the traffic police or insurance company reports.
- The vehicle shall not be driven by persons that are not specifically authorized in the rental contract. (Non-authorized drivers).
- The coverage does not include lost keys, tools, and removable radios, discharged batteries because the car lights were left on, broken or cut tires and wheels.
- The insurance neither covers towing nor rescue costs, nor payments for the utilization of cranes or for hauling the car to the main office.
- The coverage excludes a vehicle that was left under hazardous conditions, or in isolated places, thus facilitating a potential theft.
Your Credit Card’s CDW
Primary coverage options: Several conditions apply if you wish to decline SOLID CDW coverage. Some clients choose to use the secondary coverage offered by their major credit card’s CDW coverage. The credit card companies we accept are Mastercard, VISA and Amex.
Your security deposit will increase up to $3000 if you decline our CDW
If you Decline our CDW you have to add Supplemental Liability zero deductible insurance (SLIZ) to cover 100% damages to third parties.
Important. What happens if you decline our CDW? You assume 100% responsibility for any and all damages incurred to the car during the rental.
You will first have to pay for the repairs and related fees while in Costa Rica. Only then can you file a claim to be reimbursed by your card carrier. Even though your credit card may cover damages to your car in Costa Rica.
Important. You must pay the total cost of the rental service with the same credit card used to decline the CDW insurance.
Debit cards are only accepted under certain circumstances.
Please consult our SOLID CAR RENTAL representative for our optional package insurance to cover damages for the rental car, third party damage, accessories such as radio, antenna, windows, tires and tools, plus roadside assistance 24/7
CDWZ – Zero Deductible Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver extension which relieves you from payment of deductible amounts in case of damage to the rental car. This additional coverage does not relieve you of the responsibility for payment of the 20% deductible on Third Party Damage or Civil Liability, theft of the car and total lost of the vehicle.
SLI – Third Party Damage and Civil Liability
Protection against responsibility for damage to third parties or the property of third parties in case of an accident. A deductible of 20% of the total damages applies.
Solid Car Rental will not change or eliminate the local protections and insurance for personal protection from our clients.
- Accidents or damages caused to third parties or the property of third parties by negligent driving, or provoked incidents not contemplated in the traffic police or insurance company reports.
- This Protection is mandatory.
SLIZ – Zero Deductible Third Party Damage and Civil Liability
Relieves you of responsibility for payment of 20% deductible for Third Party Damage or to the Property of Third Parties. This additional coverage does not relieve you of the responsibility for payment of the deductible in case of Collision Damage.
ACC – Accessory Protection
Protects against loss, damage or theft of accessories such as window glasses, tires, antenna, radio and tools. (DOES NOT cover keys, documents of the rented vehicle or plates)