Costa Rica is not a large country. Yet, it does possess several modern airports. The two largest international airports are found in Liberia and San José, the country’s capital. In either, you can arrange for a car rental. You can also book well in advance and have the vehicle waiting there for pick up. The question is “Should you get an airport rental?” Would it be easier to use the bus service or take a courtesy van if you are staying at a specific resort? At Solid Car Rental, we understand how renting a car will work in your benefit no matter where you hire it but can understand why one method and not the other may work better for you.
The Advantages of an Airport Car Rental
If you plan to fly into San José, you will land at the Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO). You may wonder whether you should or should not book ahead for an airport car rental. The advantages of making such arrangements in advance include:
- It will be waiting for you to pick it up no matter what time you arrive
- You can drive directly to your hotel, resort or other place where you plan to set up base no matter when you arrive
- It is conveniently located and easy to find. Airport car rental companies are generally very visible. Those at San José are no different. They are located in a designated area near the arrival and departure gates.
- It is very convenient. You don’t have to arrange for some other mode of transport until the car arrives
- The car you have rented will be able to hold everyone and the baggage.
- You have less chance of losing or misplacing the luggage if you put them in a car instead of public transportation.
These are the basic advantages associated with renting a car at the airport in San José. Yet, there can be disadvantages.
The Disadvantages of an Airport Car Rental
Renting a car at the airport in San José can be advantageous. Yet, you may find it simpler to arrange for a pick-up at another location. The reasons for doing so vary. It can prove not to be beneficial for you to arrange for an airport car rental at the Juan Santamaria International Airport for any of the following:
- You do not want to drive with jet-lag from a busy airport to your hotel or resort
- If you arrive at night or quite late, it is easier to rely on public or private transportation to get you to where you want safely
- You do not want to take the vehicle on the road until you are more aware of the surroundings
- You may be too tired or excited to do a thorough car check with the agency at the airport before you sign the papers. You should also document pictorially the car and any dents, dints or visible (even though hard to see) damages. If you are tired, it is late or you just feel overwhelmed by the trip, this may not be easy to do. You will then have to pay for a pre-existing mark when you return the airport car rental at the end of your trip
- Some sources say it is more expensive to pick up a car at the airport than elsewhere in Costa Rica. Make sure you are not overpaying for the convenience of an airport hire.
Hiring an Airport Car Rental
There are pros and cons for having a car waiting for you at the airport in San José. You need to make a decision based on your awareness. Make sure you are comfortable with the concept and the cost before you decide that an airport car rental, such as that available from us at Solid Car Rental, is the best way to go.